Memorial Day weekend has different meaning for different people. For me it is a special day to remember those who have passed before us. As my kids get older, I try and share with them the memories I have of family who have passed that they may or may not have met. My kids are lucky to have my mom and dad (Grammy and Papa) and Brian's mom (Grandma Kay) around. They only have one living great grandparent and that is my Dad's mom. The other 7 have passed and are our angels in Heaven. Of the 7, 3 are buried in Sioux Falls. This past Memorial Day I took the time to talk about those 7 who have passed (though I didn't meet Brian's 2 grandpas) and about Brian's Dad (Grandpa Dick). Julianne decided the kids should make cards to take to the graves of the 3 here. So they did...
Julianne's card for Great Grandpa Bosseler (my Mom's Dad). It still brings tears to my eyes to read this, because I feel the same way!
Julianne's card for Great Grandpa Maiwald (my Dad's dad). She is such a thoughtful person...he would have loved her too!
The card for Great Grandma Bosseler (my mom's mom). Julianne did get to meet her. Julianne was 20 months when she passed away. I show her pictures and we talk about Grandma B.
Katelyn started making individual cards, but ended up making just one. She has some understanding of this, but is still learning and has no memories with these 3 great grandparents.
William's card. He also made 1 card to share with all 3 great grandparents.
Visiting the graves. It is hard for me to visit the graves still, but I know it is good for the kids. Julianne, Katelyn and William are standing by the headstones of Grandma and Grandpa B. I know Grandma B would be in LOVE with all 3 of my kids and my sisters 2 boys. She would be spoiling them rotten. I believe my Grandpa B would also feel the same way, like my kids I never got to meet him but he will always have a special place in my heart! We love you Grandma and Grandpa B!!!
William, Katelyn and Julianne in front of Grandpa M's headstone. Again, they never met Grandpa M but I have been lucky enough to share memories with them. I know he would love them and would already be teaching them to play cards with Grandma B.
This was a day of fun and remembrance. Looking at the pictures, I still get tears in my eyes. I will always love and miss my grandparents no matter how much time goes by.
I also want to take a chance to remember Brian's Dad, Dick, who passed away last November. He is thought of often and missed too!
Here is the last picture of Grandpa Dick & Grandma Kay with the grandkids. It was taken during June 2007. Since this picture another grandson, Ty, was welcomed into the family this past April.
Finally, here is a picture with Brian's Grandma Coen and Grandma Johnston. This is one of the only pictures I have with us and both his Grandmas.
Memorial Day is a day to remember these loved ones on a day that is set aside to honor so many. Though, there isn't usually a day that goes by that I do not think of one of these loved ones. Whether it is a picture I see, a recipe I make, a wedding picture, or even just seeing one of my kids. I love each of you and miss you. May you continue to be our guardian angels and know that you are loved and missed!
No comments:
Post a Comment