Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Life happens...

I had such good intentions of keeping the blog updated, but alas, it hasn't happened.  

Instead, life happened.  

Life is busy with four kids - three of whom are involved in activities.  Then there are doctor appointments, school, volunteering, church and let's not forget work!  I am not complaining, because I love the activities and everything we are a part of, just making a statement.  Sometimes, I just want a snow day where we can forget about everything we need to do and just enjoy the warmth of the fireplace, watch movies all day and eat popcorn.  Who am I kidding, my mind is always going a hundred miles an hour and I am thinking about what I have to do next before I am even done with what I am doing.  

Life did happen.  We enjoyed Thanksgiving with my (Becca's) family.  We enjoyed time as a family at some events with Hope Kids (a Christmas party, Disney on Ice and the Colorado Symphony).  These events were great for all of us - it helped get our minds off of treatments and that ONE word and allowed us to spend time together.  We enjoyed Christmas at home. That week was followed by a week in Mitchell and Sioux Falls where we celebrated Christmas, Caroline's 1st birthday, a beautiful wedding and the new year.

Yet again, I digress from why I started typing tonight.

Julianne has now had 4 infusions of her immunotherapy treatment.  Overall, things have went well and continue to go well.  The biggest hurdle with each treatment is getting her IV in.  Julianne, unfortunately, does not have the greatest veins - they are small, like to collapse and even roll when the nurses attempt to insert the IV.  Julianne has come a long way since her first infusion in remaining calm while the nurse attempts to insert the IV, but it is still so hard on both of us!  However, this is a HUGE deal considering she HATES needles and {used to} freak out at the mention of getting a shot!

Along with her infusions, Julianne has had extra blood work done to make sure that her body is handling the infusions well.  Thank God it is.  She has also had an ultrasound to watch for changes in her lymph nodes.  At some point, she will have another CT Scan and possibly an MRI.  At this time, there are no PET Scans on the horizon.  She will have another ultrasound in a week (February 22).  Please say prayers and send good thoughts her way for this ultrasound.  

At this time she has 14 infusions left.  Her infusions are every three weeks, as long as she continues to stay healthy!  

Now, I want to say thank you to everyone who has helped us out, said a prayer (or 2 or 3), sent good thoughts/positive vibes and listened to me ramble on.  

I have told many that this all still seems surreal, especially between treatments.  Looking at Julianne, you would never know what she is battling.  Her positive attitude, her determination and love of life will get all of us thru this.  So many days I wish I could take this battle on for her, but I know I can't so I fight for her, I am there for her and I keep moving forward for our family.  She will get thru this and we will all be stronger because of it!




1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration, Becca. Thanks for the update. I will keep praying for Julianne and your family! Lou Cowherd

    ReplyDelete