Monday, July 8, 2013

Vaction: The Badlands...

... the start to a terrific vacation!

This year's vacation was one we were all excited about!  Julianne had been asking to go to the Black Hills for well over a year and we really wanted to take her (and the other kids too).  This trip turned out to be far more fun and full of firsts, excitement, laughter, and lots of playing!

Our trip started on a Saturday morning, however, the packing began on the prior Monday, and the list making began weeks before that.  For those of you who don't know, I LOVE LISTS!  They help keep me organized, they help me from forgetting items for trips, and well they help me feel like I've accomplished something when I can cross an item off the list.  Trying to pack for 4 people is easy and challenging at the same time.  The challenge I find is when I am packing all of us at once (without lists) and going from room to room I sometimes can't remember who I packed what for and I double up on one kid and forget for another.  Anyways, this is off the subject and another post sometime down the road.

The cars (my Suburban and my Dad's truck) were mostly loaded on Friday night to give us a head start on Saturday morning.  Grammy and Papa offered to take a grandkid or two with them and after a little thinking we decided to send William with them so he could enjoy some extra time with his cousins, Mason and Murphy, before the rest of us.  At least that was the plan....then plane troubles cut that time short.

Anyways, on Saturday morning we finished loading up the vehicles and Grammy, Papa and William took off.  Brian, the girls, myself and Grandma Kay (she spent the night after surgery on Friday - she is recovering and doing better each day) finished packing up and hit the road about an hour later.  On our way out to the Hills we stopped in Mitchell to drop off Grandma Kay and got her settled in before continuing on our journey.

 Stopping at the Lookout near Chamberlain.
Pictures like the one below always melt my heart!


We stopped in Kadoka so Brian could get Gizzards.


The Badlands....

 Katelyn and me....self portrait



 Sisterly love...or maybe not!  

 I took a lot of pictures during our drive and our "hiking" and picked a few of my favorites.

 Julianne and me....yep, another self-portrait.

It wouldn't be complete without a self-portrait of Brian and I.

 Brian and his girls!

 We didn't get a picture when we entered the Badlands,
so we stopped on our way out and took a few pictures at the sign.

I am sure William would have loved seeing the Badlands or better yet running all over, but I am POSITIVE I would have been a nervous wreck with him enjoying it all.  We will do the drive again when he is a bit older.  We all had a blast and decided we could have spend way more time there then we did, but alas we had to move on because we had others waiting for us and bigger plans for the week.  So, we piled back in the car and continued the drive to the cabin.


No comments:

Post a Comment